History of Christ Church
Christ Church was founded in the early 1880’s with the name Church of the Heavenly Rest and in 1885 gained parish status. In 1900, the church was hit by a tornado and destroyed. When the church was rebuilt upon the current location in 1903 it was renamed Christ Church. On November 1, 1925 the Church again met with tragedy when it caught fire and was destroyed. The current building was built in 1925 and since then has been expanded to include first a parish hall in 1948 and then a new rectory in 1961. The interior of the church was remodeled in 1963.
Christ Church has contributed to the community, the Diocese of Texas, and the nation. In 1973 our chapter of the Daughters of the King participated, with other chapters in the diocese, in creating a prayer book that not only went on the Apollo 14 mission, but was the only prayer book carried onto the surface of the moon by Astronaut Edgar D. Mitchell. We also built a playground by the Community swimming pool and purchased the lot across the street from the church for future use.